Monday, November 15, 2010

I Guess the Change in My Pocket Wasn't Enough... Top 5 FU Covers

Like everyone else, i'm uber-sessed with Cee-Lo Green's "F U" song. So of course I spent hours forcing myself on Youtube until she spit out cover after cover for me to judge. 
The diversity and range of folks, regions and styles covering the song speaks to its universal quality. <-- Did I just say that?  Ugh, I'm such a nerd. 

By the way, this project that made me feel extra old.  Why you ask? In almost every video starring a kid, they'll say the line "I guess he's an XBOX," then pause looking confused for the next few words (should say "and I'm more Atari"). THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE WORDS ARE BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT ATARI IS.  Be right back, going to register for my AARP subscription. <P.S. I would provide links but that would mean more effort on my part. So you should look for yourself.>

Moving along, here are my Top 5 Picks of FU Covers.

5. A CA PELLA - BROWN UNIVERSITY JABBERWOCKS
I think you can understand why a group of Ivy League boys pouring their hearts out to me made the list. Plus, the a capella is on point. <--- look at me pretending to know something about music. Anyways, check out these guys doing their thing from what looks to be an eery little brick hallway somewhere in the bowels of Brown.



4. TEEN GIRL ACOUSTIC - GABERRZ
Something for the little teen girl in all of us.  The true angst of the song isn't quite there because, bless her, she probably hasn't truly joined the FU heartbreak club yet.  Good voice, like the song on acoustic. Panda hat is a bonus. Start at 1:44. 



3.  MONKEYING AROUND - MATT MULHOLLAND
Because every video should have a monkey puppet, clone band and backup dancers, a blue powder tuxedo jacket and a "Hit That" pinata t-shirt.  He managed to get a cranky, cynical insomniac to laugh at 5:30 in the morning. 



2. VIOLIN GUY - ERIC STANLEY
Amazing violin rendition is amazing. Because I love it when someone flips the script on us. Raise your hand if you think violin lessons are an uncool waste of time.  Eric Stanley proves you wrong bitches.  Brava.  (Put your hands down)



1. IAMBLINDSOWHAT (AKA JOEL)
Great singers these days are a dime a dozen.  Joel, a young blind man who asked his friend to set up a recording,  isn't the greatest singer so don't expect a jaw-dropping vocal performance. But when I watch him bare his soul, I am inspired to do shit - try to fulfill some of my own potential (which is grossly untapped due to complacency and laziness).  Even his name is awesome  Says it all. Take it away Joel...

No comments:

Post a Comment