Thursday, October 20, 2011

Have You Discovered "The Wendy Williams Show - After Show" Yet?

If not, you're suuuuurrrrrrriously missing out.  And before you say anything - I have ZERO vested interest in or connection to Wendy/the show/etc. 

Ok - so why am I so down with the WWAS (Wendy Williams After Show - keep up!!!!!!!! someday, with these kids, we're only gonna speak in acronyms, so get to workin' on your reverse engineering/analytical/teenage brains from now)??

A little background: I have always been a daytime talk show chica, okay?  There's nothing I didn't watch - from Sally Jessie Raphael back in the day, to Jenny Jones, to Ricki Lake, to The View blah, blah, you get the point (yes of course Rosie and Oprah too - duh, those were #1 on the list - GIVEN).  

Flash forward to the present: Everyday, I'll record The View, Rachael Ray, Dr. Oz and The Talk  (well, not The Talk anymore since they got rid of Leah and Holly, just not the same, g'bye and good riddance!!!)- I don't always watch all of them, but The View was traditionally at the top of my list.  It was my "go to" for the days Hot Topics.  

BUT last fall, I discovered the ABSOLUTE GEM that is The Wendy Williams Show.  Girlfriend cares about all the same stuff as me (and probably you if you're reading this blog)- without all the news mixed in that I CAN GET FROM CNN AND ALL THE MILLION OTHER NEWS PROGRAMS AND WEBSITES.  She dishes on Real Housewives, Jersey Shore (HELLO, SHE GREW UP AT THE JERSEY SHORE, AND SHE LOVES PINK AN LEOPARD BECAUSE IT'S MANDATORY IN JERSEY!!!!) celeb gossip, beauty tricks, being "real" - she's just fabulous all around.  Plus, the show is so deconstructed - it's not overly produced which is so refreshing. 

Needless to say, Wendy is the first show I watch these days, and the others - I don't even get to most of the time.  So, this year, she's always referencing "the after show" on air.  Finally, I got around to visiting her YouTube channel to check it out, and I didn't come up for air until like three hours later. I watched almost all of them in a row. 

Here's why: The After Show is Wendy being EVEN MORE REAL, in her office.  It's just "Wendy being Wendy." Girlfriend is usually changed into her "street wig," as she calls it and cazh clothes, taking off her makeup, eating lunch and talking to the camera about the day's show ALL AT THE SAME TIME (because, side note, she's the master of multitasking).  Here, Wendy will often give up realer than real opinions on celebs and guests,  talk about what she's doing that night, regale us with stories from back in the day and showing us all her wardrobe fun. Sometimes she'll have a "guest," but not because they are an "After Show" guest, but because she is such a multitasker that she'll stack a meeting on top of the After Show recording and just do it all together.  GENIUS. And she holds nothing back - except we still don't get to see her husband Kevin (even though he's a top dog of the show staff and his office is right across the hall from her). Maybe one day.  

So check it out - and let me know what you think.  For a little taste, here's the latest episode:


No comments:

Post a Comment