Sunday, September 26, 2010

Deconstructing Snooki

The Diminutive Dynamo With a Mighty Roar

I'm Just Sayin'

Before you judge Snooki, let's just take a step back and try to find out why the entire country (including me) is so infatuated with her.  

True she's gimmicky and flashy - and some people are simply gawking at someone "different."  But if that was all she had, her five minutes would have passed by now.  There's something underneath that orange shellack that keeps us mesmerized and coming back for more.  This rare young flower possesses an appeal that is enviable.  

To women, especially those under 5'3," dark haired or ethnic (guilty), she makes us realize the fact that we are different from the "stereotypical ideal" or that we look like cute little girls doesn't mean we should be submissive, meek or scared. 

Let me tell you - when you're this short and have people literally looking down at you all day long, it can really get to you psychologically.  Trust me I know. 

But not Snooki - she stands tall and proud.  She knows what she wants and she doesn't change herself for anybody. She has a presence, a voice and can command a room.  In all seriousness, years of post-graduate education did not teach me this most important life lesson.   

She is charismatic, witty, humorous and can start a trend like nobody's business, which is why I sat in the hair accessory aisle at CVS for 10 minutes last weekend wondering if I should buy those white plastic hair clips she coifs her poof with.  For the record, I didn't.  Maybe next time.

My head hurts from all this philosphizing.  I kind of can't believe that I really tried to get this deep about a cast member of the Jersey Shore.  Not trying to gush by any means - and I don't endorse everything she does.  But when you look at this singular aspect, it's an interesting point to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment